Slots are the most popular casino game, and they’ve held this title for many years. One of their outstanding features is that they’re so lucrative. They also happen to be very visually appealing.
Talk to any number of people, or do some investigating online, and you’ll find a wealth of information, especially when it comes to strategies for playing online slots. At first, such an idea might seem a little far-fetched because slots are by nature random. That being said, the key to improving your chance of making a profit is to plan your approach and find the right gameplay style and payouts.
However, before we look at these aspects of playing online slots, we must lay to rest some of the misconceptions and out-of-date myths that are unhelpful. Once we’ve debunked these, we’ll look at how to find the best system, select a machine, and manage your money.
How many times have you heard a slots player say “I’m due a win” or “It’s ready to pay”? These are commonly held fallacies, and you should do your best to avoid them if you want to achieve any kind of success. Online slots and progressive jackpots are both based on number generators. Every spin is entirely independent of the one that went before it. Therefore, the chances of a win are the same for every spin. When it comes to progressive jackpots, it’s a built-in house edge that determines the odds.
You might have also heard of some so-called cheeky cheats. Never holding two Sevens and hitting spin if you land three nudges are just a couple of examples. There are plenty more. You’ll be pleased to learn that there’s no truth in these claims, and you should be very dubious if someone wants to share such tips, especially if they’re asking for money. Slots providers have teams of testers whose only role is to prevent such flaws from getting through.
There may have been a time, many moons ago, when some of the old slot strategies worked. Nowadays, however, technological advances mean that most have been relegated to the history books. You should avoid the following outdated slots strategies:
- Cheats: If you played slots in the arcades of the 80s and 90s, rumpus abounded of cheats and predictable patterns. There’s no such thing today because slots are such big business, and providers would have eradicated any such bugs.
- Hot/cold machines: RNGs are what power live slots, and as their name suggests, they are designed to be totally random. You might be lucky enough to hit a winning streak, but it’s nothing more than luck.
- Lurking: Several decades ago, you might have benefited from watching a player on a machine and jumping in when they left without a win. Nowadays, RNGs are used, which makes this kind of strategy redundant.
What is Your Playing Style?
Do you know what your playing style is? Ask yourself the following questions to determine your preferred playing style:
- How patient are you?
- Would you prefer to spend less rather than more?
- How much time do you plan to spend on each gaming session?
If you’ve got a large pot and want to win in as short a time as possible, the big jackpot games would better suit you. Franchise slots are often the highest payers, for example, Marvel, which tends to offer progressive jackpots. Also, look for games with more generous but less frequent payout lines.
If you’re an impatient player, you might prefer slots with regular but less generous wins. This type of game will offer many low-to-medium-priced win lines that occur often. There will also be lots of extras thrown in. Look for games with lots of lines or ‘ways to win.’ If you’d prefer bigger prizes, look for games that offer better win multipliers when the stakes are higher.
If your slots budget is limited, but you’ve got lots of time to play, you need to look for generous bonus features and regular payouts. Bigger wins tend to come from the bonuses, but you’re not going to get these in every bonus game. You’ll build your earnings over a more extended period, but your pot will get chipped away while you’re waiting.
Choosing the Right Machine
All slot machines are pre-programmed to keep back a certain percentage of all the stakes made in the long run. You can’t change this, but you can make the most of your winnings in the short term by choosing a suitable game.
- Video slots: Often have regular payouts and include bonus games and special features.
- Jackpot slots: Have clear win lines but fewer fancy games. Great for anyone who wants to play the numbers or experiment with money management strategies. Payouts tend to be higher and less frequent than video slots.
- Progressive slots: A percentage is taken from each wager which is then added to a cumulative jackpot, often from several linked machines or games. Payouts are less regular, but there is a chance of a massive win.
- Tournaments: Groups of players play through a fixed number of credits within a set period. Winnings are kept to one side, and the biggest pot wins.
Manage Your Money Smartly
The best way to ensure you leave each gameplay session with some winnings is to set cash limits. You might, for example, set aside CA$25 for 100 spins on a CAA$0.25/spin slot. Bear in mind that the more spins you allow for, the greater the chance of hitting a big jackpot. Putting your winnings to one side is another good way to keep hold of your profits and leave with some money in your pocket.
The strategies mentioned are just general. The key is knowing how the slots work, deciding your limits, and sticking to them.